Sunday, June 19, 2005

For the dads in my life

That includes my grandfather, my dad, and my wonderful, way-too-good-for-me husband:

Still Fighting It
Good morning, son.
I am a bird
wearing a brown polyester shirt.
You want a Coke?
Maybe some fries?
The roast beef combo's only nine ninety-five.
But it's OK.
You don't have to pay.
I've got all the change.

Everybody knows
It hurts to grow up.
But everybody does.
It's so weird to be back here.
Let me tell you what,
The years go on and
We're still fighting it,
We're still fighting it,
And you're so much like me.
I'm sorry.

Good morning, son.
In twenty years from now
Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers.
And I can tell you 'bout today
And how I picked you up and everything changed.
It was pain,
Sunny days and rain.
I knew you'd feel the same things.

Everybody knows
It sucks to grow up.
And everybody does.
It's so weird to be back here.
Let me tell you what,
The years go on and
We're still fighting it,
We're still fighting it.
You'll try and try
And one day you'll fly
Away from me.

It was pain,
Sunny days and rain.
I knew you'd feel the same things.

Everybody knows
It hurts to grow up.
And everybody does.
It's so weird to be back here.
Let me tell you what,
The years go on and
We're still fighting it,
We're still fighting it.
Oh, we're still fighting it,
We're still fighting it,

And you're
So much
Like me.
I'm sorry.

-Ben Folds


(For the record, I did not cry while typing the lyrics. Apparently, I only cry when actually listening to the song.)

1 Comments:

Blogger halloweenlover said...

I'm going out to buy the ben folds cd right. now.

6:56 PM, June 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home