Thursday, May 12, 2005

Things that make ya go AARRRGHHH!!!!!!!!

Read this NYT article (free subscription required).

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The neocons would have you believe that, as a Democrat, I'm post-modern. That I find value in all belief systems and in all cultures. That I don't disparage other cultures--just because something is different from the way we do things, that doesn't make it wrong.

Well, that very last point is true. But just because something is different from the way we do things, that doesn't make it right, either. The use of "cleansers" in these African countries--even without the huge, glaring specter of AIDS--is inhumane. The quotes from the article make my head explode, especially the "cleanser" who won't use a condom because it'll awaken a bad spirit.

I have no point here--I'm just pissed.

4 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

I read this one too and have been seeing red ever since. Thank you for writing about it so well.

11:31 AM, May 12, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

AARRRGHHH!!!! indeed! So inhumane and degrading, not to mention dangerous and stupid. I hate that I read it, because I hate hearing about this stuff, but I thank you for posting it.

2:32 PM, May 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on which side of the political aisle is postmodern these days. -- AH

4:18 PM, May 12, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

(not-so-)AH: Hope you won't get in trouble for surfing blogs at work... hahahahahahaha.

Liz and YT: Soooooooo angry, and unfortunately, I don't know what the solution is.

4:23 PM, May 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home