Friday, May 06, 2005

Quick post before sleep

Got two Mother's Day cards today, both from my mom. One was a funny one, the (only) type I like to give. I think I can count on one hand the times I've bought cards that weren't from the Shoebox section of a Hallmark. I'm all about the cheap laugh, not so much about the emotions (as AH would likely attest, bless his heart).

The second card was of the schmaltzy variety. Lavender with pink script, big swirling cursive letters, poetry inside. My mom never used to get me cards like this. It's only since I've become a mom that she's gone the sentimental route. Part of me wants to blame this on AB: he's so cute, he's burying us in saccharine. But part of me also thinks (knows) that my becoming a mom--a good mom, a mom who really enjoys being a mother--is something so neat and exciting for my mom to see, that she doesn't think just a funny card will cut it anymore.

She's so silly. I love her.

5 Comments:

Blogger corndog said...

Happy Mother's Day!

1:10 PM, May 08, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Thanks, corndog. Hope you're doing something nice for the missus.

1:40 PM, May 08, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

Happy Mother's Day!

4:45 PM, May 08, 2005  
Blogger SuzanH said...

Happy Mother's Day. I hope you are enjoying yourself.

6:03 PM, May 08, 2005  
Blogger Mother in Chief said...

I've seen this shift also... and I have to say that I've actually been enjoying (and sometimes even getting teary-eyed) over that sentimental crap too. This parenting thing really messes with all aspects of our hormones and emotions.

11:22 PM, May 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home