Monday, May 02, 2005

Nanny overdose

There are only a few TV shows I watch regularly. "Supernanny" and "Nanny 911" are not two of them. However, I watched both of them tonight. They were very similar, and I don't think that I'll watch either of them again.

"Supernanny" dealt with a Georgia family wiht two boys, ages 4 and 5. These were, for the most part, good-natured kids. My biggest beef with them was that they were rough with the dog--but that's something that the parents should've corrected right away. The big problem was that they threw tantrums every night before bed, refusing to go to sleep unless their mom crawled into bed with them.

Amazingly, it really affected me, watching these kids I don't even know crying out for their mom. I empathized with this mom, and I hoped for her sake that the wisdom dispensed by the nanny would work for her. I really liked the husband, too. He was as actively involved in his kids' lives as their mother. They both seemed like people I would know and be friendly with in real life. When the nanny's suggestions worked (not only worked, but worked amazingly well), I was so happy for these complete strangers. So it's not that I hated this show. Rather, it's that I don't like to have my feelings manipulated by a reality television show.

"Supernanny"... Ugh. I like how this show tries to offer general tips to all viewers (e.g., when giving a time-out or cool-down or whatever you decide to call it, explain to your child why she's getting that treatment). But I was just annoyed by the mother in this show. She really seemed to not like her boys. I don't know that I can explain it. It was just a gut feeling I got. It reminded me completely of this woman who was "grieving" over not having girls. I hope her sons never see a tape of this show, but I think that's naive wishing on my part.

I feel like taking a long, hot shower and then watching Mary Poppins. I had such a crush on Bert when I was a little girl.

2 Comments:

Blogger Neel Mehta said...

I've seen a little bit of Supernanny, but decided it would be better if Simon Cowell was in it. Same pretentious British accent, but far more critical.

"Is that the best you can do? I can go to any old preschool and find someone who throws a better tantrum. That was ghastly."

Speaking of British accents, or their close approximations, Dick Van Dyke's attempt at Cockney was one of my first impersonations. Bert rocked.

2:30 AM, May 03, 2005  
Blogger kiwi said...

Neel, how funny that you should say that. My baby threw her first tantrum several years ago when we were visiting friends out of town. She was not yet 18 months and my friend's husband's immediate response was something very much along those lines: "You can throw a better tantrum than that. Here, like this." Then he three himself on the ground, kicked and flailed and threw the most comically overdone tantrum I could imagine.

It was literally years before she threw another tantrum.

Of course, try that routine on her now that she's 6, and man does it piss her off.

8:16 AM, May 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home