Saturday, May 28, 2005

In praise of spontaneity

Having a wonderful day full of spontaneity.

OK, so the breakfast with one of my oldest friends from high school had been planned for a while. We met at one of the myriad Silver Diners in my area. Me, her and Angry Boy. She hadn't seen him since he was a wee pup, so she was amazed that he's more than half my size now. We had a lovely time. I heard all about her upcoming wedding, and AB merrily munched away on his pancakes and my strawberries as the grown-ups (ha! I'm so not a grown-up) talked.

On the drive home, I was about 100 feet away from taking my exit when I realized that we were very close to the animal farm AB loves. It was still early (not quite 10), and the sun was shining. So I decided to check out the farm instead of going home. Well, the weather was perfect: sunny and warm but with a nice breeze. AB was his usual chatty self at the farm:

"Hi sheeps! ... Bye bye sheeps!"
"Hi goots! ... Bye bye goots!"
"Hi peacocks! ... Bye bye peacocks!"

He had the other parents there cracking up.

Then, tonight, AB and I were on a walk around the neighborhood (well, I was walking, he was riding in his stroller) when I heard music playing. I remembered that there was a little festival going on, so we took a longer detour and wound up checking out the activities. Lots of wonderful fried food smells and grilled food smells. AB loved watching the bigger kids ride the ferris wheel and other rides. He also saw lots and lots of doggies. He greeted each with the familiar "Hi doggy!" On the way home, he asked me to go "fast, fast!" and so I wound up getting some exercise, too. It was a great day.

I feel like so much of my life has to be planned down to the hour, if not the minute. Otherwise, how can I possibly get everything done that needs to be done? That's why I love days like this when I can throw schedules and plans out the window and just do whatever comes to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

I can't wait for next weekend when I can hear him say "Hi Sheeps!" in person.

10:11 PM, May 28, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Jealous! I am jealous!

11:37 PM, May 28, 2005  
Blogger kenju said...

You just gave your boy a wonderful memory, and that is worth everything! Glad you had a good day.

11:59 PM, May 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how he was so different this morning. :)

- NSA(but a little sad)H

12:19 PM, May 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home