Thursday, April 14, 2005

You got me.

I thought I'd snuck under the radar, but SuzanH over at My Sad Little World has tagged me for that book meme that's been going around (thanks for the nod, SuzanH!). Not one to shirk my duty:

You are stuck inside Farenheit 451. Which book would you be?

OK, others have said this means what book would I memorize and share with others when all the other books have been burned. My memory's not that good. Can it be a short story? If so, I'll be Thomas Mann's "Tristan." Can it be a play? I'll be "Hamlet." I've got most of that memorized anyway.

Have You Ever Had a Crush on a Ficitional Character?

Whom haven't I had a crush on?! Let's see... Jem from To Kill a Mockingbird (lay off, I was 13 when I first read it). Nick from The Great Gatsby. Ethan Frome (mostly because I pictured him as Liam Neeson, even though I never saw that movie).

What's the Last Book You Bought?

I buy in clumps: Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, and The Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison. [I assume this meant books for me--otherwise, the answer is "mountains of kids' books for my boy."]

What are you currently reading?

Just finished Running With Scissors a little while ago, and started to read my husband's The Gospel According to the Simpsons but got bored. Must buy more books... I'm thinking Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed will be next. It's already on my Amazon wish list, and I've got a $25 gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.

Five Books for Your Desert Island Cruise Package.

I'll do it by author, I guess.
Gotta have Styron (huzzah for the Commonwealth), so I'll pick Lie Down in Darkness.
Gotta have Carrie Fisher, so ... Postcards from the Edge barely edges out Surrender the Pink.
Fitzgerald, I'll take This Side of Paradise.
Irving, A Widow For One Year.
Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment.

I think everyone else has done this, so rather than passing it along, just for shits and grins I'll list the books I've read in the past few years (an asterisk means that I recommend it):

1999
1. Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
2. A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr*
3. The Iranians by Sandra Mackey *
4. Misanthrope by Moliere
5. Self-Reliance and Other Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson *
6. Birds of America by Lorrie Moore *
7. The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche
8. Looking at Law School edited by Stephen Gillers
9. The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker *
10. Planet Law School by “Atticus Falcon”
11. Galileo’s Revenge: Junk Science in the Courtroom by Peter W. Huber *
12. Hannibal by Thomas Harris *
13. Civil Disobedience and Other Essays by Henry David Thoreau
14. Starting Off Right in Law School by Carolyn J. Nygren

2000
1. The Whole Shebang by Timothy Ferris *
2. Journey Into Darkness by John Douglas
3. Faster by James Gleick
4. Obsession by John Douglas
5. Beside Still Waters by Gregg Easterbrook
6. The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky *

2001
1. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver *
2. What is Man? by Mark Twain
3. Why Christianity Must Change or Die by Bishop John Spong
4. Rimbaud by Graham Robb
5. The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving *

2002
1. Galileo’s Daughter by Dava Sobel *
2. A Widow for One Year by John Irving *
3. My Declaration of Independence by Sen. Jim Jeffords
4. Lie Down in Darkness by William Styron *
5. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Steven King *
6. A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
7. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
8. The Iron Ring by Lloyd Alexander
9. The Gambler (& other short stories) by Fyodor Dostoyevsky *
10. Red Dragon by Thomas Harris *
11. Set This House on Fire by William Styron *

2003
1. Live From New York by Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller *
2. Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver
3. What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff
4. Personal Velocity by Rebecca Miller *
5. Contempt of Court by Mark Curriden *
6. The Fourth Hand by John Irving
7. I Don’t Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson
8. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier *
9. Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold *
10. The Pact by Jodi Picoult *

2004
1. Life of Pi by Yann Martel *
2. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
3. The Unquiet Mind by Kay Jamison

I know, I know. Three books in an entire year is embarrassing. I've already read two this year, though, so I should break that abysmal record.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Ha. Three books in a year means you've got a job and a kid, right?

11:55 PM, April 14, 2005  
Anonymous Andrea said...

If you liked Life of Pi, try Self by the same author. Great book. Kind of like Life of Pi, you have to stick around for the ending.

7:27 AM, April 15, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Thanks for the rec, Andrea.

Phantom, I noticed my book totals also went down in my second year of law school (now that was stressful).

9:21 AM, April 15, 2005  
Blogger SuzanH said...

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

I highly recommend Nickel and Dimed. And did Running with Scissors completely freak you out? I just kept thinking about that poor guy, and all those poor kids. It was Trainspotting all over again for me.

9:14 PM, April 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home