Sunday, April 24, 2005

My child is a freakazoid

Went to lunch at Fuddruckers (or Ruddfuckers, as a friend so recently called it) today. Ordered off the kids' menu for AB: grilled cheese sandwich, fries, and a cookie for dessert. When I was a kid, that would've been my dream meal. Hell, even now that sounds like a pretty good meal to me. I've always said I could live off of cheese and bread.

Well, he showed no interest at all in the grilled cheese sandwich. (And Fudd's uses really tasty bread, too.) He ate a few of the fries, but didn't want any more. I finally had the idea of getting him some tomatoes from the fixin's bar. While I was there, I also picked up a few pickle slices. AB had never had pickles, and I wanted to see if he liked them. He quickly ate the tomatoes and was intrigued by the green slices. He made a hilarious face when he ate the first pickle: he shivered a bit and his face got all scrunched up. But he apparently liked it, because he ate the rest, and I went back for more pickle slices.

Finally, AH and I were done with our burgers, so I went over the dessert stand and got AB's chocolate chip cookie. When I returned to our table, he pointed and said, "Cookie!" I broke it in half; half for him, and AH and I split the other half. AB put his cookie in his mouth but then accidentally dropped it on the table, pretending to eat like Cookie Monster, all fast-moving hands and grunting. It was hilarious. An older man at a table nearby looked like he was going to crack up.

Once he was done pretending to be Cookie, I picked up his uneaten cookie half and held it for him. He took a bite or two out of it, but then moved his head away and said, "No."

"You don't want anymore cookie?" I asked, stunned.

"No." And then he proceeded to grab and eat the remaining bits of tomato.

AH said he wanted a paternity test, because no child of his could possibly prefer tomatoes to chocolate chip cookies. This is the same child who, a week ago, refused to eat any of AH's birthday cake (Boston Cream--mmmmm). Freak. Lovable and adorable freak, but freak nonetheless.

12 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

My first kid was like that too--and still is at almost 10. He would much prefer fruits and veggies (the boy loves broccoli) to dessert. Yeah, it's really odd. And people ask me what I did to enforce these good eating habits. And I have to say, nothing, cause it's true. He just eats like that. His favorite pizza--cheese and olives. What 10 year-old likes black olives?!

7:18 PM, April 24, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

As much as I tease him (behind his back) about this, I would love it if he kept up these healthful-food preferences.

Your first's tastes sound like AB's (he also eats pizza with black olives, as well as tomatoes and pepperoni, and he loves broccoli, even though it gives him gas--hahahaha, poor guy).

8:16 PM, April 24, 2005  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

Yay, more desserts for you!

9:00 PM, April 24, 2005  
Blogger liz said...

Can I have his grilled cheese if he doesn't want it?

9:30 PM, April 24, 2005  
Blogger phoenix said...

My son just turned 12 2 weeks ago and his thing has always been black olives and mushrooms on pizza. As a baby he ate all greens, but now turns his nose up at them. This is a kid that also hated "messy" foods when he was real little. Pudding, jelly, ice cream (Yes! I said ice cream!) and pies. He now will eat all of the above (in the recent 2 years) but still turns down pies.

10:19 PM, April 24, 2005  
Blogger phoenix said...

Oh! and his favorite snack food of choice? Cream of Mushroom soup!

10:20 PM, April 24, 2005  
Blogger kiwi said...

My parents drove all the way out for dinner to celebrate my baby's first day of kindergarten last August. What restaurant did she select? Sushi House! (My poor dad looked like he might faint -- turns out, though, the kid helped him learn to like sushi, too.)

Won't even touch PB&J. And thinks mac 'n' cheese from a box is weird...

4:41 AM, April 25, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

My son hates all sweets except vanilla ice cream. But the only vegetables he's ever been seen to consume are ketchup and pickles, so I get no healthy parenting points. Not when his major source of calories is tortilla chips...

9:42 AM, April 25, 2005  
Blogger Yankee T said...

One of my favorite Younger Daughter birthday requests was when she turned 8 and wanted steamed mussels for her birthday dinner.

10:04 AM, April 25, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Thanks for sharing all these weird (to my mind) food preferences and dislikes! So, apparently, my boy isn't as much of a food freak as I had thought. Nice to know.

10:10 AM, April 25, 2005  
Blogger SuzanH said...

I think it's just the way kids are. My daughter doesn't eat cake, won't touch a sandwich (any kind), but loves brocolli and cauliflower and clams. What a weirdo.

5:58 PM, April 25, 2005  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Two of my kids don't like chocolate. Just how freaky is that?

7:03 PM, April 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home