Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Pedestal? No thanks.

From Bitch. Ph.D.'s post, I wandered over to this set of blog posts (and there are others, as well) about the college student who got busted trying to pass off a bought* paper as her own. These posts have been commented on to death, and there's not much I could possibly add to the mix... but there was one thing that I noticed about the comments railing against Nate, the blogger, and accusing him of destroying the student's life:

They all refer to the student, Laura K. Pahl-but-let's-not-scar-her-for-life-"Krishna," as a "young girl." As in "this naive young girl," or "the poor young girl."

OK, let's get something straight. She's not a "young girl." I'll grant you "young woman": as a third-year college student, she's probably 20. It's certainly possible she's 21. So, no, she's not a wise old sage (nor am I). But her sympathizers insist on using the term "young girl," as if she were a confused, pubescent middle-schooler.

Also upsetting to me is the use of the word "girl." I am the first to admit that I feel weird referring to myself and my... well, girlfriends as "women." But I certainly would be put off by others (for example, co-workers, other attorneys, random blog commenters) referring to me as a "girl." It makes me wonder how much the student's gender sex is prompting the mild outpouring of sympathy. If the 20-year-old college student had been male, would there still be this much venom directed toward the website and this blogger in particular? Somehow I doubt it.

*Actually, she stiffed the guy, so she's not only a cheater, she's a thief as well. A twofer!

2 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hell, yeah, I agree with you!

11:15 AM, March 31, 2005  
Blogger timna said...

I agree with you about the "girl" stuff, but now I'm thinking about the folks I've caught cheating -- mostly female. How strange. I wonder if I check more carefully? accept male (even young male) authority? yikes. I rely mostly on voice: when something suddenly sounds very strange, I run it through google and usually come up with the match.

something to think about.

6:45 PM, March 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home