Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Grand Ol' Party-poopers

Phantom Scribbler reminds me that I'm not really that upset that Kerry lost (just mad that Bush won).

Speaking of Republicans, the Post had this article on Russ Potts, who is really starting to make things interesting for the Virginia governor's race. The Winchester City Republican Committee has "disowned" him as a member of the Republican party, saying: "You can't have it both ways. You can't be an 'independent Republican.'"

Potts has this great response:
They don't have the power to tell me whether I'm a Republican or not. Only God and myself have the power to do that. It's the party of my forefathers.... I will not yield to this radical, extreme, out-of-touch element in the Republican Party.

Gotta hand it to those Republicans who aren't afraid to speak out against party leadership when they think it's gone too far.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Thanks for calling out this story. I love to see dissension in the Republican ranks. May they splinter and become just as ineffective as, well, Democrats.

(And Cadbury fruit & nut bars right back at ya!)

9:28 PM, March 09, 2005  
Blogger corndog said...

Don't overestimate John Warner's maverick streak. Yeah, he did undercut Ollie North's senate run a few years back, but push comes to shove, he votes the party line. My brother thinks Warner's core principle is to try and look like Mufasa from The Lion King, so we call him Mufasa.

4:45 PM, March 10, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

I'm no apologist for Mufasa (hee); he is a Republican, and I do disagree with him on many issues. But there have been many occasions on which he's done what he thought was right, regardless of what the GOP wanted him to do:

He (and Jeffords, and just 8 other Republicans) voted against Clinton's perjury charge during the impeachment. He also endorsed Mark Warner's call for a tax increase. He refused to support North, as you pointed out. He also refused to support Michael Farris for Lt. Gov. He voted against Robert Bork for the Supreme Court.

So, do I vote for Warner in Novembers? No. Did I show up at the primaries in the summer of '96 to make sure it was Warner on my November ballot, as opposed to Jim Miller? Hell yeah.

8:58 AM, March 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home