Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Can't make up my mind

Do I post something achingly saccharine about how my smarty-pants son is so damned... well, smart?

Or do I post a carefully worded but still impassioned rant about sexual harassment at law firms?

*ponders*

I'm tired, I'm sick (yes, again--the germs have taken up in my bod like it was rent-controlled), and I've had a day of being thoroughly outraged at people. I can rage no more (at least for the next 8 hours), so here goes:

I picked up the boy at daycare today and got a wonderful earful from his teacher about how smart he is. I love this woman--she is so sweet, and it's obvious how much she loves my boy. She was going on and on about how smart he is. And yes, I know he's smart. But I don't want to get too concerned with how smart he is and lose sight of the important things (e.g., how happy he is, how generous he is, etc.). So I smiled, blushed (I'm sure), and patted his head. And I said, "Aw, thank you. He's my smart cookie." She gave him a big kiss as we left.

So we're in the car on the way home, and he's chatting quietly to himself. And I try to understand what he's whispering:

"Waaaaah..... tsooooo..... tseeeeee...."

At the stoplight, I turn to see what he's doing. He's holding a Snuffleupagus figurine upside down, pointing at each of Snuffy's feet as he talks. I realize he's counting Snuffy's feet. After he says "haahhrrrr" [four], I clap, and he parrots my applause, adding a little "Yaaay!" for himself.

It was all I could do not to yank him out of his carseat and smooch him all over.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee! Cute story -- and sorry you're sick again. :-( Hope you get a good rest tonight & feel better tomorrow.


Justine

11:41 PM, March 29, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Adorable! Give him a big sterile kiss from all of his blog fans.

And feel better soon!

9:05 AM, March 30, 2005  
Blogger Floyd said...

It's clear you little one is a genius!

As chick lawyer myself, not sure what to say about the harassment stuff....just frankly don't know what to say.

Just found your blog - enjoying it immensely.

3:35 PM, March 30, 2005  
Blogger WomanoftheLaw said...

That is so freakin' adorable. I want one.

7:31 PM, March 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home