Thursday, February 17, 2005

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school...

Here's my take on the high school meme going around:

What year was it?
1989-1993

What were your three favorite bands/performers?
Bonnie Raitt (what? shut up), Bon Jovi, Eric Clapton

What was your favorite outfit?
Jeans and a t-shirt, same as now.

What was up with your hair?
Same thing that's up with it now. Except no bangs right now.

What did you do after school?
Sometimes I had soccer. But mostly, I either hung out at a friend's house, or people walked to my house.

Where did you work?
I didn't work during the school year. In the summers, I had various office jobs that necessitated the wearing of pantyhose. Blech.

Did you take the bus?
No. I lived pretty much as far away from the school as you could live without being on a bus route. So I either had to walk or snag a ride from an upperclassman.

Who did you have a crush on?
I won't name names, but if you want to know what my type was, my friends decided that my theme song was Julie Brown's "I Like 'Em Big and Stupid." Sample lyrics:

What kind of guy does a lot for me?
Superman with a lobotomy!
My father's outta Harvard,
My brother's outta Yale,
But the guy I took home last night
Just got outta jail.


Did you fight with your parents?
Nope. Never. I'm a freak.

Who did you have a celebrity crush on?
Kevin Kline. Liam Neeson. Ken Branagh--and he's still in my Top Five. Basically, a lot of much, much older men.

Did you smoke cigarettes?
Nope.

Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack all day because you were too nervous to find your locker?
I thought that was just a convention of bad '80s sitcoms.

Did you have a "clique"?
Yes. And I won't elaborate.

Did you have "The Max," like Zach, Kelly and Slater?
I swear, I watched a lot of SBTB in my day, but I have no idea what "The Max" is.

Admit it, were you popular?
If you mean popular in the literal sense of the word, then yes, because I had a lot of different friends in a lot of different social groups; a bunch of people knew who I was. If you mean popular in the high school sense of the word (and, yeah, I know that's what you mean), then no, I was not one of the "popular girls."

Who did you want to be just like?
Carrie Fisher, post-rehab, post-Paul Simon.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
By 15 I'd given up my acting aspirations, 'cause I knew my dad would freak out. So the goal from there on out was newspaper reporter.

Where did you think you'd be at the age you are now?
I didn't think that far ahead. I still don't.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I think back on all the crap I learned in high school...It's a wonder I can think at all...always loved that lyric. :)

What were your three favorite bands/performers?
Bonnie Raitt (what? shut up),
She's awesome -- I can't imagine who'd put you down for that..

Bon Jovi,My friends liked him -- I liked a lot of '60s music and they thought I was strange ;)

Who did you want to be just like? Carrie Fisher, post-rehab, post-Paul Simon.I remember reading her first book, Postcards from the Edge, and thinking it was funny as hell. I didn't like the movie (saw it once) -- maybe I would like it better now but at the time I kept thinking it was weird to have Meryl Streep in that role, since I kept picturing Carrie when I read it and they're such totally different types.

Oh, and I always thought it would be cool to be married to Paul Simon and have him write beautiful songs for me. I'm such a romantic. ;)

*Justine*

12:14 AM, February 18, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Some people don't realize that Bonnie Raitt was much cooler before she became radio-popular. I'm a huge fan of her work from the start of her career to "Nick of Time." On every album since, I've felt that she was abandoning the blues for adult contemporary, and I didn't like it much. (Although "Luck of the Draw" had some pretty good songs on it, too.)

My favorite book of all time is still Carrie's Surrender the Pink. Not as bitingly funny as Postcards, which I also love, but I could relate to it more.

And you weren't the only one who wanted to be married to Paul. Hey, if you wished he wrote love songs to you, then just put on the CD "Hearts and Bones" and make believe he's singing to you. That CD is his breakup with Carrie Fisher. Well, Part I of it, anyway. Part II of the breakup is Graceland.

11:18 AM, February 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that! Thanks, I'll have to get Hearts and Bones. :) I love Graceland --- though I don't have a copy yet, but I've listened to it a few times before (gotta love the library).

*Justine*

P.S. yeah I guess Bonnie has become more "adult-contemporary" over the years. Though I loved her song "You" that came out in the '90s...and some others, as well....

6:40 PM, February 18, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I used to have a great Bonnie Raitt bootleg, very bluesy and kick-ass. Recorded long before the making-videos-with-Dennis-Quaid era.

And Carrie Fisher. She rocks. Never even read her books. But back in the Olden Days, when we played pretend games with the neighborhood kids, the pretty blonde across the street always got to be the heroine. But when we played Star Wars, I got to be the heroine. Yeah! Carrie Fisher made the world safe for bad-attitude little Jewish girls everywhere.

My husband's aunt once dated Paul Simon's brother. Our Brush with Greatness. But the guy she ended up with... (grimace)... not writing beautiful songs for anyone....

9:33 PM, February 18, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Not that there was anything wrong with that particular Bonnie Raitt video. :-)

In fact, I wouldn't be averse to a law requiring Dennis to be in all music videos. He could just sorta sit back in the corner grinning, like he did in "Thing Called Love."

1:58 PM, February 19, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I like the idea! A mandatory Dennis Quaid moment in all music videos. But what if he's too busy to do them all? Can we substitute other late '80s/early '90s leading men?

3:49 PM, February 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home