Monday, February 21, 2005

Mommy drive-bys

You have to read this: Chez Miscarriage has solicited comments about mommy drive-bys, the unintentional (and, all too often intentional) hurtful comments that moms make to other moms for whatever reason (ignorant concern, the need to pump up their own self-worth, some sick desire to belitte others, etc.).

The list is just amazing--but completely believable. Me, I don't think I've ever been the victim of a mommy drive-by. It's possible that I have and have just blocked it out, though. I'll have to ask my husband if he's ever had comments made to him...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of my favorite drive bys:

First, a bonafide mommy-drive-by. Context:mother-in-law to one sister-in-law whose son is in daycare. Mother-in-law remarked her daughter (then a high-powered coporate executive) wouldn't dream of putting her child in daycare because, "she just loved that baby too much."

Second, just a drive-by from the past: congratulations on your new job; it's great . . . for a waitress.

3:55 PM, February 21, 2005  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I also cannot remember being the victim of a mommy drive-by. (Early onset Alzheimers?) But the crowd over at Chez Miscarriage is making me feel sort of left out. If I was a better mother, I'd have a mommy drive-by story!

9:06 PM, February 21, 2005  
Blogger Angry Pregnant Lawyer said...

Or, if your own mother was a worse mother, you'd have some stories to tell.

Seriously, I can't get over how many of these awful comments came from these moms' own mothers! Time to put bitchy Gammy in the crooked old folks' home we saw on "60 Minutes"!

9:21 PM, February 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home