Monday, February 28, 2005

Fun things overheard in traffic court

"You're charged with going 53 in a 30 mile an hour zone. How do you plead, guilty or not guilty?"

"Your honor, the road I was on was a two lane road. In the eastbound lane, there was a disabled vehicle, an SUV, with the hood up and blinkers on. It was partly on the shoulder, part on the road. I was heading westbound, and I was kind enough to stop and let several cars through. Since I'd stopped, I had to [hahahaha--yeah, right, buddy, you had to] go a little faster in order to get to work, or I'd be late. And I want to know why the officer stopped me, when less than a mile away there was the disabled vehicle. Personally, I am shocked. The driver needed help. She was a woman, a poor old woman...."

My client and I chuckled, and I couldn't help but wonder how I could make his description of the old woman even more pathetic and heart-wrenching. Like, maybe she was wearing only one shoe. Oh, and she was blind, but her seeing eye dog was on the other side of the road.

And that mean ol' cop did nothing, nothing to help her! How unfair life is!

I did like the defendant's logic, though: I do something nice for someone, I get to break the law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home